Tyler Perry filming in McDonough, GA this month

by Christine on January 4, 2013 · 40 comments

in Daily Filming Locations, News

Christmastime isn’t quite over in McDonough, GA.

Tyler Perry will be filming Christmas scenes for an upcoming movie in the town’s square on Jan. 16. The shoot is expected to take place around the Welcome Center, Party Time, and the Annex Building behind the Bliss cupcake shop.

Filming will also take place around the Square on the afternoons of Jan. 23-24. The movie is set to be released in December.

Though the town did not specify which movie Perry will be filming, based on the scene description and release date, it is most likely A Madea Christmas which is set to begin filming this month in Georgia. The film follows Madea as she helps a friend see her daughter at Christmas.

If you spot Tyler Perry filming this month, let us know about it at olv@onlocationvacation.com!

Evelyn Elliott January 5, 2013 at 10:55 am

I have worked in a few Tyler Movies and at his studio enjoyed working with the crew .
Thanks please consider me

Evelyn Elliott January 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I have worked in Tyler Perry Movies and at his studio enjoyed working with the crew.

Evelyn Elliott January 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Have worked on several Tyler Perry moves and T V series

tammy cowart January 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Do they need extras in the movie.

Carolyn Moore January 9, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Would love to be in background scene!

Yolanda Carter January 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I would love to be in a scene or 2 in Mcdonough Mr Perry ive been in others.

connie rogers January 12, 2013 at 5:56 am

I am a general manager for McDonough 1 on the square, I would love to have a scene with you in your upcoming movie.

P.S. tell Mudear i said Hello! And God bless! Look foward to seeing you!

Love your friend in Christ,
Connie Rogers

Joseph Sims January 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Would enjoy being in your movie, I live in McDonough Ga

Michelle January 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

The location manager/whatever they are called, came up to my Grandfather’s house and asked if he would let them film scenes in his back pasture, and my grandfather said no, he did not know who Tyler Perry was or about any of the movies. When my mother explained it to him, it was too late, the guy had already left.

Christine January 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm

really? that’s too bad, is he in McDonough?

Ellisia January 14, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I live in McDonough. I would love to be in a scene or two !!!

Tiffany January 14, 2013 at 4:35 pm

They are filming right now at a house off of the square

Christine January 14, 2013 at 8:06 pm

thanks Tiffany

J Manuel January 14, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I have a 7 year old daughter that would love to showcase her humor. Any info on casting?

Belinda Speer Kelly January 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I am so happy that Tyler Perry is filming in McDonough, Ga. That is my home town!!! We love you Tyler Perry!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!

ME January 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm

U HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDIN ME..4 30 PM AND THE TRAFFIC IS DEAD STOPPED FOR 45 MINS NO ONE MOVES..NO SIGNS SAYING THERE IS A MOVIE BEING FILMED TO DETOUR..WE JUST GET TO SIT THERE AND WAIT…OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB January 15, 2013 at 6:43 pm

SO IRRESPONSIBLE OF OUR OFFICIALS, NOT PLACING SIGNS AROUND ALL STREETS LEADING INTO THE SQUARE! GOT TRAPPED 45 MIN. ON JONESBORO ROAD AT THE RAILROAD!!!

Melissa Minter January 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I past by early and thought that a house had caught on fire, and they already had douse the fire. I was trying to wake my boyfriend up so he could tell me what was going on. It wasn’t until when my daughter came home from school, that I found out that Tyler Perry was filming his movie in McDonough, GA. If he is in need of some extra people email me please!!!! :)

vanessa January 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Wow. I live in McDonough. I have watched ALL of Tyler Perry’s movies, and my parents own every last DVD. To be in one of his movies, I don’t care if I am in a distant scene, That is on my Bucket List. Congrats to the City of McDonough. Thank you Tyler Perry for realizing that Atlanta has a small town with beautiful scenery, called MCDONOUGH!!! We Love you down here on the South Side of Atlanta…..Im tickled Pink!!! ha ha ha

Tanja January 16, 2013 at 9:06 am

I make it a habit to read my local newspaper to stay on top of the goings on in Henry Co. I was reading the Henry Herald a couple of weeks ago and that’s when i found out about the filming, the days and streets that would be involved and approximate times, that’s how I was able to avoid the traffic.

Yoly January 16, 2013 at 9:50 am

wowww I am so glad to find this info my 18 yr old daughter wants to be a model please let me know if she can be seen P.s would love to meet Mr T Perry and of course My fav Madea, Im looking forward for that movie in December as I ve seenall Madea movies Gob bless

Debra Roddy January 17, 2013 at 12:28 am

Our Square in McDonough, GA is still all Lite up for Christmas. Tyler Perry is filming a movie there. Traffic is a Nightmare but I think it’s Cool to have our Sweet, Beautiful, Historical McDonough Square in a Movie !!!!! I hear that the movie will be out in December 2013 !!!

Christine January 17, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hey guys, would love to see more pics of the set, if you have any you’d like to share, you can email them to me at olv@onlocationvacations.com!

Lynn January 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Someone is filming down here on New Hope at the church. Email me I can be there in 5 mins if you need an extra lol

Lynn January 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Someone is filming down here on New Hope at the church. Email me I can be there in 5 mins if you need an extra. Lol I think it may be the Perry movie. Love all his movies.

Paulette Armstrong January 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I live here in Mcdonough, and my family loves Madea and you Mr. Perry. Would love to meet you both.

Lucy King January 19, 2013 at 12:48 am

Rode by the base camp drop off site, then the actual base camp which had catering, trailers and hair and make up trailers. Totally cool to see. It is set up at New Hope Baptist. That freaking clothing trailer was neat! Have pics can email in! Now all I need is to get my daughter and her acting talents to cross paths with Tyler Perry. Not to mention my mother wants to see Madea before she kicks the bucket. :) My daughter kept saying mom I want this, I have to keep going with acting. :) View her on youtube at name Chloesworld2008 :) Such inspiration filled my 12 year old today! Thank you Mr. Perry

Judy Onyango January 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Yes, Tyler Perry was indeed shooting a movie in Mcdonough. Early in the morning of Jan 16, 2013, I passed by the Square on my way to pick my brother u. They were just pulling in and setting up. On my way back to drop my brother back to his house, they had started filming. I shouted “Can I be an Extra in your movie please” as we drove by. I will be going back to the Square on these two days. Oh! and now, they have put a detour sign warning people that the roads will be closed on those two days…I will park and walk to the site…Yeah! I have been applying for my kids and I to have a part or become extras in Tyler Perry’ movies for sometime now. Hopefully I can get to be an extra this time around…Please, let me know…I will be there.

Charlie Page January 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hello i live in Mcdonough Ga i am currently unemployed. It would help out a lot to be an extra and make some money to support my family.

Destiny February 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I love all of the plays and movies would love to be a part of one. Good luck on movie.