‘Iron Man 3′ filming in Cary, N.C. on June 4 & June 5, 2012

by Christine on June 1, 2012 · 191 comments

in Daily Filming Locations

The Iron Man 3 crew has spent most of the shoot behind closed doors at EUE/Screen Gems Studio in Wilmington, N.C., with the exception of Tuesday when they filmed in downtown Wilmington and the Wilmington Airport.

But, according to one of our Twitter followers, @WannaRubaDdub, they’ll be leaving the studio again next week!

Iron Man 3 is expected to film scenes on Caitboo Ave behind Crossroads Cinema in Cary, N.C. on Monday (6/4) and Tuesday (6/5) from 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. And yes, Robert Downey Jr. will be there!

If you spot the IM3 filming in North Carolina, send us your photos and scoop at olv@onlocationvacations.com! You can also discuss the movie with other fans in our Open Thread!

UPDATE: The local news is reporting filming will take place on June 6th, around the “SAS campus likely using Harrison Avenue, Cary Parkway or Weston Parkway.” Another tipster also emailed us some more details writing, “Iron Man 3 will be filming at SAS in Cary, NC on Monday through Wednesday. There will be lots of extras and minimal overnight security presence.”

Jodie June 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks! I’ll probably check Harrison out again later today.

anonymous June 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

The filming in Cary is continuing today/tonight on the SAS campus. There was suppose to be a car/race scene filmed along the Cary parkway but I heard that It was cancelled/rescheduled because of rain.
I work in the building they are filming at on the SAS campus. Cameras started rolling early this morning in the lobby of the building and as I left work this afternoon they were filming a scene at the entrance of the building.
I spotted a RDJ look-a-like in the coffee shop during my break. A possible double?

There were many attempts to get into the campus to get a glimpse of the action but it was a closed set on private corporate property. ONLY employees of that specific building were allowed to enter the building or even get in view of the action. Even a lot of extras were SAS employees.

It didn’t seem like there was any action scenes being filmed. Just a lot of people in very nice business suits.

There was a rumor floating around that filming will continue in the Cary/Raleigh area through Friday.

anonymous June 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

In addition to my previous comment:

As we all probably know by now, Epic Games will be the “face” of A.I.M. On the other hand, the SAS campus is portraying Stark Industries.

The cast (mostly extras) were seen sporting “Stark Industries” name badges on set and between scenes.

Christine June 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Here’s another article that says basically what everyone here is already saying-

If anyone hears for sure they are filming in Cary through the end of the end of the week please let us know, thanks!

anonymous June 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’ve heard that Gwyneth Paltrow filmed a romantic scene with Guy Pearce at SAS today. Is this the end of “Pepperony” and the beginning of Tony Stark and Maya Hansen?

rae June 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Pepperony! LOL! I haven’t heard that one :D

Christine June 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Anyone drive around Cary at all today, any idea if they’re still around?

Mike June 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Guys, they are still here. I passed by their location in RTP. I tried to drive by but unfortunately security was tight and no one is allowed to go inside the building (they are filiming indoors). However, the security people are actually nice.

Brent June 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

6/7 they are shooting today at 12 Davis dr, the research triangle headquarter building. Tents, RV’s trucks everywhere and lighting screens covering the front of the building

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Where exactly? I live on Davis Drive… Maybe I should drive around but I hope I’m not too late…

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Confirmed guys!! They are filming here on Davis Dr at Reasearch Triangle!!!!!

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Security people are actually nice… I was driving around like “lost” and they didnt kick me out lol

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

wow! my dad works around there. I’m gonna see if my family would want to visit. Is there a place to stand or sit with a little folding chair? Or are you able to?

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I tried to find a place to park but I couldnt find anything. The crew and everything is behind Bank of America. I guess you would have to find parking somewhere and walk. You can only stand on the side walk kinda far from the RTP parking where everything is.

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Can you see anything? Is it worth chilling on the sidewalk for a while?

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Can you see anything?

Brent June 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

You can’t see much from the street and there isn’t any good close parking. if you are in the area, a quick drive by is cool, otherwise not worth stalking. also, near the bank of america are a good amout of camera trucks using in road scenes.

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Gotchya, well maybe my family and I will drive by on our way to Frankies or something. Thanks so much for the info!

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Yes go behind Bank of America to see the Base Camp and drive around RTP. At least you will get to see the tents and everything else.

Mike June 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Yeah I heard they are filming indoors only. So not sure if it is worth it to go because nobody is allowed inside the building. Bummer. Also, I dont think Robert Downey Jr is there but Gwyneth might be there. When i asked the security guy if RDJ is there he shook his head, but when i asked if Gwyneth was there…he neither confirmed nor deny.

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Haha yea at Epic Games on Tuesday they seemed to get a kick out of us. I’m glad they’re nice people because that can be a tough job

Angel June 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I just left. So I parked at bank of America and walked over to the site, I did a few walk by’s to see if it was worth staying and decided to take a seat, I sat in the grass taking pictures for about an hour. During that time I saw either Gwen or her double leave, and I saw either Robert or Guy arrive. The security guys finally noticed me in the grass and pulled out their umbrellas to block me from seeing anyone arrive further, then a security guard named John came over to “babysit” me and we talked for about half hour, The escalade carrying Robert/Guy left and I was guessing I wouldn’t get anymore pictures, so I left.

Irishgirl June 7, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I don’t think your link is working. I get a message that it either can not be opened or I am not authorized. Do you have your photos set to public or are they set so only friends can see them?

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Great pictures Angel!! Thanks for sharing!

anonymous June 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

they packed up the set at SAS today. although the generator they had yesterday was gone, so I don’t think any filming was done. Anyone know if they’re still filming behind Cary Crossroads theater or if they ever filmed the driving scene?

They’ll be back in Wilmington at the end of next week, so who knows? maybe they’ll be around the Triangle for another week. A couple SAS employees did inform me that they work with some people who are continuing some extra work through Friday. So that means they are still going to be in the Cary/Raleigh area at least through tomorrow.

But, I think all the stuff they’re filming here is “business” related scenes so it’s mostly inside or on closed sets on private property.

Angel June 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150875660762921&set=a.10150875655062921.409173.636717920&type=1&theater my link was set to private. This is RDJ or Guy I believe, he had a crowd of people waiting for him and they covered him with the umbrellas.

Christine June 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm

thanks so much Angel! Is it OK if I post your pic with a link back to your Facebook page, I just want to add an update about today’s shoot, thanks again for sharing!

And thanks to everyone for your updates!!

angel June 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Yes go ahead!!!! I was surprised I was the only person out there today, I was hoping for a bigger crowd because you had such a clear view of the actors walking from the set to the parking lot!

Christine June 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I know! You can tell you had a great view! thanks again!

Christine June 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

PS- I’m sure that’s RDJ! good shot!

rae June 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Great pics Angel!! And I agree with Christine – that’s gotta be RDJ.
On a side note – your pics are so clear – what type of camera r u using? Thanks!

angel June 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Well security made a pretty big stink about him showing up- the umbrellas went right up so I knew he was important!!! I didn’t know if it was guy- but I looked him up and I know it wasent him, especially because of the sneakers- RDJ has been photographed in sneakers like those a lot!

Irishgirl June 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

RDJ almost always has that case with him as well…..the lunchbox-y looking case. So, looks like you got RDJ!

Avery June 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Nice! He sure looks skinny.

angel June 7, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I have a nikon D3100 and I was using a 55-200mm lens. :)

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Haha dang now I kinda wish I stayed. But my family and I were going to spend some time together so we just drove by a few times. I took some pictures but most aren’t great since we were driving past. I also wasn’t sure if I’d be able to stay there

angel June 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I was wondering what the heck that case was!!!!! The security guard who came to babysit me pretty much told me if I had no camera they would have let me sit there all night…but that is stupid, why else would I sit there!!!

Nathalie June 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm

LOL Angel, they were nicer to you. They sure didnt like my 70-200mm lens that I had on my Canon. The security guy almost jumped on top of me. I thought he was a regular guy because he wasn’t wearing any tags or uniform. So I stayed for a few minutes and left… I’m glad you could take those pictures :D Thanks again!

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm

haha I would! I probably didn’t want to be alone but it sounds like you had company :) Do you know if they’ll be there tomorrow?

angel June 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Well, he came over and pretty much put his umbrella infront of my view once RDJ was on set, so I didn’t see much after that :( he was nice but I could tell her just wanted to get me out of there….I should have done the camo dangit! Haha, he said they were shooting at SAS tomorrow, I don’t know if he was telling the truth.

angel June 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

He wouldn’t confirm who I saw and was being secretive. Caged has a facebook page and said they need a stand in for tomorrow, so they will be shooting, but I don’t know a for sure location.

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm

haha aw well at least you got to see something!

Angel June 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm

yes, it was a pretty exciting day!!!! I was hoping the actors would be like the Twilight cast and come out and do autographs or something. Maybe they need a really big crowd for that…or maybe that was just an isolated event. Either way, I’m hoping to see them around town dining or something, ANYTHING!

Brent June 8, 2012 at 7:35 am

6/8 more filming at 12 Davis Dr today. No time to sit around and watch, but driving through base camp area near the bank of America is cool. Ok, back to my 9-5

S June 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Gwyneth did say on her twitter that she had been out to eat in Raleigh, even asked people for suggestions on where to go.

Congrats on your exciting day!

Lydia June 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Anything would be pretty awesome, gah what I would do to get an autograph and a picture!

Christine June 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks Brent (and everyone) for the info! If anyone checks it out today keep us posted! Thanks!!

Nathalie June 8, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’ll check it out… I leave 2 mins away from the location :) I’ll let you know if I see anything :)

Christine June 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

OK, thanks!

Nathalie June 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

My phone didn’t work all day :(

Christine June 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Did you end up seeing anything Nathalie?

anonymous June 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm

no filming at SAS today.

Nathalie June 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

They are at Davis Drive not at SAS. They are still here.

angel June 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Looks like Epic games is all packed up, they took the ornaments off the tree and all the cameras and lighting equipment is gone, guessing they are done there!!!

Lydia June 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

My dad stopped by. A press photographer who was there before my dad was in trouble, and they asked my dad to not take any pictures; they actually recognized him from Tuesday haha. Gwyneth was apparently supposed to be leaving, but my dad was gone by then

Christine June 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Here are a few more pics from last week:

Thanks again to everyone for the great updates! It was fun! Looks like they’ll be headed back to Wilmington next week…

Brent June 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

Checked 12 Davis Dr this morning at 7:45am. The only car/truck in the lot was one of the production big white trucks at the loading dock. Three crew members were wheeling a piece of a decorated Christmas tree through the front lobby. Once they spotted me they moved it out of view and I couldn’t snap a photo.