AMC’s ‘Walking Dead’ first filming locations revealed, zombies wanted

by Christine on May 27, 2010 · 95 comments

in Daily Filming Locations, News

AMC’s upcoming original series, The Walking Dead, will begin filming in Atlanta, GA on June 2nd. So far, the network has ordered five episodes in addition to the pilot.

The series is an adaptation of Robert Kirkman’s novels in which an epidemic sweeps the globe and causes the dead to rise and eat the living. The story is not just filming in Atlanta, it is also set in Atlanta.

Locations scouts have chosen the Fairlie-Poplar District of the city to film a majority of the series since there is less traffic, yet it is still visually stimulating.

*spoiler alert*

One of the scenes they will be filming in the neighborhood includes a main character arriving in a post-apocalyptic Atlanta. The city seems to be void of life when he arrives but he soon finds himself surrounded by the living dead and is quickly engaged in a tense fight to save his own life.

The final scenes of the pilot episode and scenes for the second episode would be filmed during daylight hours over the course of two (2) weekends. The first weekend would be scheduled for June 11–13; the second weekend is scheduled for July 2–4.

In order to film these scenes, the production will need to close Walton, Forsyth and Poplar Streets. The closure on Walton Street would extend from Cone Street to the west to Broad Street to the east. The closure for Forsyth Street would extend from Marietta Street to the south to Luckie Street to the north. The closure of Poplar would extend from Fairlie Street to the west to Broad Street to the east. The closures would begin at 7PM on Friday, June 11th through 5AM Monday, June 14th and from 7PM on Friday, July 2nd through 5AM, Monday, July 5th.

In the meantime, the production company is still looking for extras to appear as zombies in the series.

But, all extras must attend ZOMBIE SCHOOL! All of the “zombies’ who have been chosen so far have been put through the paces and have already been attending “class” all week, they’ve also been told they can’t discuss anything about the production and may be fired for even the slightest hint about the production on Twitter, FB, etc.

If you think you can handle being a zombie, you can email your information to twdextras@gmail.com, you will need to have a “flexible schedule” from June to September.

If you spot zombies in Atlanta, let us know about it at olv@onlocationvacations.com!

Related Link:

Robert Kirkman Interview [Ain't It Cool]

Laurie Holden & Steven Yeun Join Walking Dead [Crave Online]

Epic Walking Dead Interview [Comic Book Movie]

Update: ComingSoon.net has the first photos of THE zombies! Check them out here! Makes you want to sign up zombie school, doesn’t it?

Tara Bridgeman October 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hello again, as you know by now my name is Tara Bridgeman and that I’m a huge fan. I have watched this show ever since it started, and I even watched the reruns over and over. I am really excited for tonight,because season two going to be on, and I will be able to see the suspenseful, scary, thrilling show I’ve always wanted on tv. I. Think it would be an amazing experience to be part of ur, either as a deadly walker or a survior hungry person, whatever is possible for me to do I will. I just really want a shot at something that means the world to me, and that’s acting.I’ve loved acting ever since I was little, and giving those shocked feelings to people, the kind where you get goosebumps about something that happens, that makes your heart skip a beat. Please if there is any spot open for me to do, either this season or next please email me, I will be MORE than happy to say yes

Alexis Warfield October 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm

My Name is Lexy for short. I’m 15 years old, however I look a tad bit older. I have always loved zombie movies and I think its amazing yawl made a zombie series! Your zombies are one of the best looking most realistic creatures I’ve ever seen. It would mean a lot to me to play a role in your show, not just because I want fame but because a girl like me would be very happy to be acknowledged by you guys. If you give me this opportunity you wont be disappointed. I wouldn’t mind being worked to the bone for such a great experience. I think your show is very addicting. The perfect balance of what a good horror series should have. All I know is my life hasn’t exactly been good or admirable however if I got that golden chance I can promise you it wouldn’t go to waste. I have been watching your show since day one, it would be funny to read the script and watch it too.

Ron Case October 17, 2011 at 1:05 am

I can make my schedule very flexable if i can get in your zombie school. where is it.

Dean Young October 17, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hello my name is dean i live in England and i love the walking dead it is amazing best zombie series i have ever seen i have watch series 1 over and over i can not get enough of it i can not wait for the second series to start on FX on the 21st of october it is going to be sweet. It would be amazing to have acting experience with the walking dead group ever if it is being a zombie or a survivor so if there is any opportunities available please e-mail me i would love to be on the show and you won’t be disappointed.

WILLIE D. MIMS October 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm

My name Willie i love the walking dead looking forward to become one of you most desired zombie. I will be the best of the best. You truly wont be disapponinted.

kelsey allen October 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm

my name is kelsey i love the walking dead and i also love just zombie movies and tv show i could name about all of them and i know its crazy to say but i would love to be a zombie on the walking dead so plz let me be a zombie like it would feel my dream and i would probly be one of the most happiest ppl on this earth =] thank you

Zuleyma Hernandez October 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

i would love to be apart of the movie live right outside of Atlanta it would be an honor to have my head shoot off in your nest episode, and by the way i’m 20 years old great age for a zombie.

Alicia October 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I love the Walking Dead! I have never been so captivated and involved in a television story line before this one. I would love to play an a episode of the Walking Dead..it would just be so awesome!! I’m 21 and can make arrangements to get to where teh filming is located!! Thanks :)

Tim & Susan Conley November 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

WE ARE HUGE FANS!!! Catch the show every Sunday!!! Both huge into survival and hunting zombies. Would really dig gettig the misses and I on the show for our 1 yr anniversary!!
Tim C.

Ann Marie Roland and Josh Grisome November 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm

hey me and my sister’s botfriend love the shiw and thought it would be amazing if we got a chance to be a zombie!! he is 23 and i am 17 and it would make both of our days if we got this wonderful chance to be on the show!!!

mohammed December 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Hello my name is Mohammed and i’m 18 i live in England (Sheffield) and i love the walking dead it is awesome best zombie series i have ever seen i have watch series 1 over and over i can not get enough of it i can not wait for the second series to start on FX on the 21st of october it is going to be sweet. It would be amazing to have acting experience with the walking dead group ever if it is being a zombie or a survivor so if there is any opportunities available please e-mail me i would really love to be on the show and you won’t be disappointed.

Mark Ward March 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I would love to be Walker in the Walking dead I am big dude 6’3 250 I would a great walker and I have different look about me and would kill it and I have this girlfriend that was a walker for Halloween last year and she killed it, this show is everything to her and she got me into show, i have a very flexiable schedule and I am in California but I could be their anytime. i would like the chance to be a walker and my girl we will kill it! Mark Ward

Mrs. Sgt Blake April 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hey writing for my husband. We are both huge fans and he is deployed this is his second time over each time he leaves us for over a year at a time. He still will take the three hours+ to get it downloaded onto a computer and watch it when ever he is not out working. He says all the time ” I’d love to be a zombie” he loves let me rephrase that we all live this show it has taken over our lives lol. Any way he is very unique looking everyone questions where he is even from but he is about 6’4 6’5 about 265. Please amc help me give this to him. He doesn’t come off of this deployment until about August. He said that would be the best vacation of all time. Lol he even said shoot I would pay them to let me. I would send him there and do what I could to give him this chance his name is Sgt. Blake and is the ultimate fan…. Thanks for your time, aliB

Brandon f July 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I would really like to be a zombie on the walking dead that show is awesome and I live right down the street from Atlanta like 20 min away from there I really want to become a zombie

ginger sealock May 31, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hello, I have watched the show since it first cam out! I love it, and cannot get enough. I would love to be a zombie in one of your films this year. I have submitted a photo that was taken at acting school this year. Would love to hear from you!!! Thanks Ginger

Brandon July 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Where do u go to submitte a photo please get back to me thank you

Jack Clarke September 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hey my name is Jack Clarke , im 16 and i live in England , Ive been watching the show ever since it started and i love it .Im sure im not different from any off the others trying to be cast but i wanna prove that even a small town boy like me can make it out there ! I love acting ive done it ever since i was little , i go acting college studying L3 Diploma in Acting and its my dream to get into something big such as The Walking Dead would love this opportunity thankyou !

Kristen Green September 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have seen both seasons of The Walking Dead and I love how the zombies were portrayed in the TV series and I would love to be a zombie. I don’t mind the hot weather because my mother is from Gainesville Georgia and wearing all that heavy makeup could not bother me. I could the zombie that comes from out of a hole and biting a huge chunk out of one of the survivors.

PopMobb October 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

Hey saw you guys are walking dead fans. Were throwing an event this Sunday for the Season 3 episodes. It’s a Walking dead viewing party. Its free. 3 dollar zombie shots & fun for guys/girls that enjoy the show!

When
Sunday Oct. 21st 2012
8pm-10pm

Where
Zucca Pizza – Smyrna Market Village
2860 Atlanta Road Southeast Smyrna GA 30082

Contact
Popmobb@gmail.com with any questions

Event flyer @

Virginia Glover October 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hi my name is Virginia Glover and I am 31 yrs old, and I believe I would be a great zombie. Because I have yet to see a zombie without teeth and I wear dentures and I”m very energetic I love to make crazy and funny sounds. My family tell me I should be on the show because I will walk into a store walking crazy and acting silly.Thanks for reading.

Adam November 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I am 15 years old I am 6’2 170 very tall very lanky and do look a lot older than I am…. I would love to land a role on your show….please….

thewalkingdeadps3.com/ November 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Farmville actually Toenails straight down anything you adore with regards to Scott Kirkman’s The Walking Dead; the tension, the weather, your environment, the globe, how a story goes. Only every thing, even comic strip graphics. (The Walking Dead originally is often a comic series if you didn’t understand) Sadly, Irrrve never acquired the opportunity to go through all the publications. The tale is fantastic in addition to their will be a lot of excitement! Should purchase!

donald November 27, 2012 at 9:01 am

i so want to be on a movie like the walking dead !!!
i am from holland the nederlands i am 21 years old
i know that i live to far away but why dont give it a try
i see myself playing in war movies or movies like the walking dead
i have a soldier look like mariens have
and i have been in the army for a bit
i can act like i am really there in a war or something

donald November 27, 2012 at 9:05 am

i so want to be on a movie like the walking dead !!!
i am from holland the nederlands i am 21 years old
i know that i live to far away but why dont give it a try
i see myself playing in war movies or movies like the walking dead
i have a soldier look like mariens have
and i have been in the army for a bit
i can act like i am really there in a war or something
or being a zombie

Mario December 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm

If you need any young actors right here is one he really loves this show and cant get enough please pick him he’s 11 years of age and he really wants to be on this show.

shirley mowery December 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

AI have been wanting 2be a part of a zombie show my hole life I have seen very zombie movie ever made if you ever need some one 2 be in your show get in touch with me I’m in Atl. I love the walking daed I can’t wait for the next part 2come out Ihave all the comice LOVE IT

shirley mowery December 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm

My name is shirley mowery I love the walking dead I have always wanted 2be a zombie in a show i have seen ever zombie movie ever made I have all the walking dead comics I have want as a zombie just about every Halloween I would love 2be a part of you show

Pvt Bridgeman November 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi its that girl Tara Bridgeman again. I’m 18 now and am in the army. I leave for basic in Ma and was just wondering if there was a spot open for a zombie character. If so please feel free to email me. My instagram is aviation_love18. I’m active and did a Spartan run (Sacramento Beast) so im up for anything challenging. thank you.

write my policy paper March 29, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I have read so many articles or reviews on the topic of the
blogger lovers except this post is actually a good post, keep it up.